Whether you suffer from the occasional bout of lower back pain or have chronic back pain that’s persisted for months or years, you might’ve heard about people using CBD oil for back pain.
Did you know that pain relief is the #1 reason people use CBD?
According to a recent Gallup Poll report, 40% of CBD users in the US cite pain as the main reason they use CBD.
Consider this, almost 80% of Americans will experience back pain at some point in their life and the number of people experiencing chronic back pain is on the rise. More than one in three adults claim their back pain negatively impacts everyday activities, including sleep.
With more and more people looking towards natural alternatives to over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve, CBD seems to have taken the spotlight when it comes to relieving lower back pain and chronic back pain.
If you suffer from back pain and are looking for natural solutions, CBD could be exactly what you’re looking for.
Table of Contents
- Why CBD Oil For Back Pain?
- What Is CBD Cream For Back Pain?
- Quick Guide for the Best CBD Pain Cream For Back Pain
- How We Chose the Best CBD Pain Cream For Back Pain
- Best multiple potency options
- Best Low potency
- Best Added ingredients
- Best for sports recovery
- Joy Organics
- Best for high potency
- Best cooling feeling
- Best isolate (and only) formula
- Green Roads
- How Much CBD Cream For Back Pain Should I Use?
- How To Use CBD Oil For Back Pain?
- Is CBD Legal?
- CBD Safety and Side Effects
- Last Thoughts On The Best CBD Creams For Back Pain
Why CBD Oil For Back Pain?
Several people have discovered that taking CBD oil for back pain offers the relief they need.
What exactly is CBD oil and why use it for back pain?
While you won’t find a lot of CBD oil tinctures or capsules made specifically for back pain, regularly taking a CBD oil tincture or capsule could help relieve chronic or lower back pain over time.
It’s simple. CBD and other cannabinoids show serious promise for managing both acute and chronic pain.
What Is CBD Cream For Back Pain?
Using a CBD cream for back pain is the most popular (and effective) way to manage back pain with CBD by far.
What exactly is CBD cream for back pain, though?
CBD cream for back pain is a topical solution made specifically with pain in mind. Typically blended with another proprietary, pain-fighting ingredients, CBD cream goes to work directly on the area it's applied to provide quick and long-lasting relief.
Research shows serious promise for CBD as a treatment for acute and lower back pain, and there are several CBD brands that make CBD cream packed with pain-relieving properties.
Determining the best CBD cream for back pain can be both time consuming and confusing. There are a ton of CBD cream products on the market.
How do you choose the best one?
You let us do it for you.
At CBD School, part of our mission is to provide real information to our readers. We’re passionate about educating the masses about CBD and offering insight on the best CBD products you can find.
From CBD creams and other topical solutions to CBD oil, gummies, capsules, and more, we’ve tested and reviewed dozens of different CBD products and brands.
We’re no strangers to back pain, either. In a previous life, we snowboarded every day for a solid decade. Add another almost decade of working in front of a computer and needless to say, chronic back pain has become persistent.
The following are our top picks for the best CBD cream for back pain you can find.
Quick Guide for the Best CBD Pain Cream For Back Pain
cbdMD Premium Recover Cream
20% off discount CBDSCHOOL
CBDPure CBD Infused Cream
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Medterra Pain Cream + CBD
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Joy Organics CBD Sports Cream
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Herbstrong Extra Strong Recovery Cream
10% off discount CBDSCHOOL10
CBDfx Muscle and Joint Pain Cooling Formula
10% off discount FXSAVINGS
Green Roads Muscle and Joint Relief Cream
How We Chose the Best CBD Pain Cream For Back Pain
If you’re familiar with CBD, you’re well aware that not all CBD products are created equal. When choosing CBD topicals for back pain (or any CBD product), it’s imperative to choose transparent CBD brands dedicated to quality and safety.
Whether it comes to choosing the best CBD products for topical use or oral consumption, we always make sure to keep the following requirements in mind:
Reputable CBD Brands
We only choose transparent CBD brands with a solid reputation in the industry that is dedicated to providing quality products.
Products must be made from all-natural, non-GMO hemp grown in the US. Natural ingredients are present in or produced by nature, produced using a limited amount of processing, and are extracted utilizing simple methods.
Non-GMO is defined as a product that is produced without genetic engineering and its ingredients aren't developed from GMOs.
Third-Party Lab Test Results
Products must contain third-party lab test results to ensure the cannabinoid levels in the product match what is claimed on the label and there is no presence of heavy metals, molds, or pesticides.
Active and Inactive Ingredients
We look at all active and inactive ingredients to ensure you’re getting the highest quality CBD products available. When possible, we prefer to recommend natural products made without any artificial ingredients.
An active ingredient refers to an ingredient that contains CBD.
Different people have different needs and desires when it comes to using CBD and CBD pain cream. We look for products with different potencies to meet the needs of as many individuals as possible.
Some brands offer a wider selection of potency when it comes to their products, while others may offer only one or two potencies in the product. We try to use brands and products that offer multiple potencies, but sometimes that isn't possible.
Variety of Price
We like to include a variety of products at various prices to meet the needs of anyone’s budget. When looking at the price of each product, keep in mind that they will vary depending on strength, serving size, volume, and any other added ingredients.
We attempt to give you all the needed information to allow you to make a decision that meets your specific desires and needs.
We prefer to only recommend products that are created using clean, safe extraction methods. There are three common extraction methods when it comes to CBD extraction.
Solvent extraction utilizes butane, propane, ethanol, isopropyl, or alcohol to extract the CBD from the plant. It is the cheapest and quickest method of extraction. This is the most dangerous method of extraction.
The olive oil method of extraction was the first method to be utilized for extracting CBD from the plant. It is a clean and cost-effective method of extraction that heats the raw plant material to a temperature that activates the plant. The main issue with this method is that the olive oil that is now activated with CBD must be kept in a dark and cool area to stay fresh which is an issue with CBD producers.
The most common way of extracting CBD is the CO2 method which is the most expensive method due to the cost of the equipment. This extraction method produces a potent, safe, and chlorophyll-free product.
Keeping all this in mind, the following are CBD School’s picks for the top 7 CBD pain creams available on the market.
Top 7 CBD Topicals Reviewed
Best multiple potency options
Premium CBD Recover Cream
USA GROWN HEMP
- The 1500mg Premium Recover Cream is the strongest CBD cream available from cbdMD and the best we’ve ever personally tried to relieve chronic lower back pain associated with old injuries.
- While we know the cooling sensation of menthol is beneficial for pain relief, we don’t particularly care for it. This is a non-cooling formula perfect for those who aren’t interested in a cooling CBD cream for back pain. The histamine dihydrochloride offers a slight warming sensation instead that’s not at all overpowering.
- Third party lab test results are easily available on each product page.
- Three different strength options.
- We found it excellent for quickly relieving our own chronic back pain.
- Not a suitable option for those interested in a cooling CBD cream.
- Rich, moisturizing cream made with pain relieving histamine dihydrochloride, broad spectrum CBD and blend of other botanical ingredients.
- Formulated specifically for muscle aches and joint pain.
- Available in a tub or squeeze tube in 300mg, 750mg or 1500mg options.
Best Low potency
CBD Infused Cream
USA GROWN HEMP
- Although it isn’t the strongest CBD cream, we found it to work well for lower back pain associated with our menstrual cycle.
- It comes with a 90-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Third-party lab tests can be found here.
- We personally found it worked well for lower back pain.
- Made with full spectrum CBD, customers benefit from various compounds present in hemp.
- Although CBDPure claims their products are third party tested, we couldn’t find lab test results on their website.
- Designed especially for muscles and joints.
- Made with 250mg full spectrum CBD combined with other natural ingredients like white willow bark and menthol to boost its effectiveness.
- Cooling sensation that can help with chronic back pain.
Best Added ingredients
Pain Cream + CBD
USA GROWN HEMP
- Medterra is one of the most trusted names in the industry, and their Pain Cream + CBD has over 500 extremely positive reviews.
- Made with all-natural ingredients.
- Powerful CBD cream for back pain or pain in other areas of the body.
- Because the product is made with CBD isolate, users won’t benefit from other cannabinoids and terpenes.
- A combination of advanced natural ingredients known for their pain-fighting properties, including menthol and arnica.
- Free of artificial preservatives and synthetic ingredients.
- A convenient pump tube available in 500mg and 1000mg options.
Best for sports recovery
CBD Sports Cream
USA GROWN HEMP
- Hands down, Joy Organics offers some of the most quality products we’ve ever tried, and their Premium CBD Sports Cream is no exception. Our chronic back pain melted away not long after application.
- Third party lab test results are offered on the Joy Organics website. All customers need to do is locate the lot number on the bottom of their products and check the lab results page for their particular product.
- Joy Organics is one of the most trusted names in the CBD industry.
- Made with broad spectrum CBD and a blend of all-natural ingredients known for their pain-relieving properties. Contains zero artificial or synthetic colors or other ingredients.
- Only available in a 400mg option.
- Formulated to support healthy muscles.
- Made with 400mg broad spectrum CBD in a convenient 4oz pump container.
- Made to use before, during or after activity to help keep you moving throughout the day.
- Made with menthol and camphor to provide a cooling effect.
Best for high potency
Extra Strong Recovery Cream
USA GROWN HEMP
- CBD cream in 1000mg strength offers the relief many people facing chronic back pain need.
- The super concentrated formula allows consumers to use less and achieve the same pain-relieving results of other CBD cream for back pain.
- Great for those interested in the strongest CBD cream you can find.
- The concentrated formula really does allow you to use less and still get results.
- Higher price point than other CBD creams available in a 1.7oz size.
- We couldn’t find third party lab test results for the product on the website.
- Formulated with 1000mg CBD, this is a strong CBD cream option for those looking for serious relief.
- 10% more concentrated than other CBD creams on the market.
- Made with limited, all-natural ingredients.
Best cooling feeling
Muscle and Joint Pain Relief Cooling Formula
USA GROWN HEMP
- With the CBD cream 1000mg option, people with serious chronic back pain can find relief with some of the strongest CBD cream available on the market.
- CBDFX offers the ability to pay in installments over time.
- Third party lab test results are available right on the product page.
- Two different strength options.
- Can be used for chronic back pain or pain associated with workouts.
- Made with broad spectrum CBD.
- Not everyone prefers a cooling formula.
- A quick absorbing, cooling CBD cream designed for muscle and joint pain.
- Made with a blend of all-natural ingredients proven to fight pain, including white willow bark, menthol, caffeine and more.
- Available in 500mg or 1000mg in a convenient pump tube.
Best isolate (and only) formula
Muscle and Joint Pain Relief Cream
USA GROWN HEMP
- We found this non-greasy formula to be an ideal CBD cream for chronic back pain, as well as back pain we tend to experience after working in the garden.
- The 50mg travel size option is perfect for taking with you wherever you go.
- It is offered in a couple different strengths to suit the needs of mild to moderate pain.
- Third-party lab reports on on the product page and can be accessed there.
- No cooling or warming sensation. Just plain pain relief, perfect for those who don’t want a cooling or warming CBD cream for back pain.
- Free of artificial ingredients.
- Although Green Roads says the product is third party tested, we weren’t taken to anything when we clicked on the lab sheet tab on the product page.
- Formulated with soothing botanical ingredients and CBD isolate to provide “on-the-spot support” in an easy pump applicator.
- Available in 150mg or 350mg options. A 50mg travel size option is also available.
- Designed specifically for sore muscles and joints.
How Much CBD Cream For Back Pain Should I Use?
How much CBD cream should you use for lower back pain, chronic back pain, and the like?
Honestly, it all depends.
When it comes to figuring out how much CBD cream to use and how often to use it, it’s different for everyone.
If not recommended by a doctor who tells you specifically how much cream to use, it’s best to start with a smaller amount (think dime-sized) and gradually increase it until you feel the effects you’re looking for.
CBD creams work differently than CBD oil that is consumed orally. CBD creams are applied topically and offer localized results with effects that are typically felt rapidly after application.
Your best bet is to apply a dime-quarter sized amount on the area you’re experiencing pain and wait 10-30 minutes to see how you feel.
If you don’t feel anything after an hour, you might then try to use a bit more.
The effects of CBD cream for back pain is different for everyone, but you might expect the effects to last anywhere from 1-3 hours.
How To Use CBD Oil For Back Pain?
When using CBD oil for back pain, your best bet is to stick with a CBD topical solution. As we mentioned, CBD creams and other topicals offer localized relief and many are designed with pain in mind.
If you don’t want to use a CBD cream to manage back pain, you can try a CBD oil for back pain, but the effects won’t typically be almost immediate like a CBD cream.
If you choose CBD oil tinctures or capsules for back pain, consider taking a specific serving size, once or twice daily for at least two weeks before expecting any results.
We highly recommend a CBD cream over a CBD oil tincture or capsule when looking to specifically manage back pain.
Is CBD Legal?
CBD Safety and Side Effects
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), naturally occurring CBD is considered safe and well-tolerated in humans and animals.
It’s always recommended to read the ingredient list of CBD creams, especially you’re prone to skin sensitivities when using creams or lotions. Many are made with active ingredients that may irritate the skin of some individuals.
Last Thoughts On The Best CBD Creams For Back Pain
CBD creams are a wildly popular solution for those interested in naturally managing chronic and acute back pain with CBD.
Whether you’re prone to back pain after a workout, suffer chronic back pain, or occasionally experience lower back pain, applying a CBD cream to the affected area could offer the pain relief you’re looking for.
Have you used CBD cream for back pain? We’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below.