As CBD products are rapidly becoming ubiquitous in the OTC mainstream market and the number of legal cannabis dispensaries rises across the nation, hemp-derived cannabidiol, CBD, is finding its way into more ingestible products, especially beverages.
CBD drinks are common at CBD specialty stores and making their way into grocery and convenience stores. But, since the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill which legalized hemp and hemp-derived cannabinoids, it’s just a matter of time before CBD-infused beverages are as common as any other health-focused soft drinks, juices, and vitamin waters.
When it comes to purchasing CBD beverages, there are a plethora of options. In this post, we will discuss what makes up a good CBD drink. We will also review some of the high-quality products made by our favorite brands.
Table of Contents
- What are CBD Drinks?
- What is CBD water?
- What is CBD soda?
- What is CBD coffee?
- What is CBD tea?
- What are CBD shots?
- What are CBD energy drinks?
- How are CBD drinks made?
- What is the difference between CBD-beverages and CBD-water?
- What are the benefits of drinking CBD-drinks?
- CBD Drinks Quick Guide
- Our Product Selection Methodology
- The Brothers Apothecary
- Joy Organics
- Green Roads
- CBD Living
- American Shaman
- How much CBD drink should I consume?
- How long do the effects of CBD infused drinks last?
- How much CBD is usually in CBD drinks?
- CBD legality
- CBD safety and side effects
- Final Thoughts
What are CBD Drinks?
Any beverage containing CBD can be considered a CBD drink. The trend of CBD-infused drinks is relatively new. However, these products are quickly gaining popularity. CBD-infused soda, cocoa, coffee, tea, and energy drinks are becoming a favorite way to consume cannabidiol.
These CBD beverages come in a range of different formulas depending on the amount of CBD per serving or the type of CBD utilized such as: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, CBD-isolate, and nano-encapsulated CBD. Some CBD infused drinks come in a selection of flavors, while the ones that only contain CBD isolate are virtually tasteless. CBD drinks can be one of the best methods to efficiently ingest the healing properties of cannabinoids.
What is CBD water?
CBD water is water compounded with an infusion of CBD particles. It is relatively new to the market. CBD water is a good choice for individuals who don’t enjoy the taste of hemp as the method of CBD infusion makes the water tasteless. Aficionados claim that CBD water is an expedient way to obtain the healing properties of CBD.
Check out CBD Living Nano Hemp-infused Water listed in this article.
What is CBD soda?
CBD sodas come in two categories: CBD isolate-infused sodas, and full-spectrum CBD sodas. Those containing isolates are generally made with water-soluble nano-encapsulated CBD. CBD sodas with full-spectrum CBD oil, on the other hand, take on the earthy flavor of hemp.
What is CBD coffee?
CBD coffee is quite simply coffee that has been infused with CBD isolate (or sometimes full-spectrum CBD) during the roasting process. This drink tastes like coffee and not hemp. Coffee infused with CBD is known to offset the normal side-effects associated with regular coffee, such as insomnia, upset stomach, anxiety, and energy slumps. CBD coffee is known to produce a relaxed, highly aware state without the jitters.
Check out Green Roads Hemp-flower coffee mentioned in this article for more information.
What is CBD tea?
CBD teas blends CBD oil or CBD isolate with tea beverages or tea leaves. As with CBD water, CBD tea beverages are generally infused with flavorless nano-encapsulated water-soluble CBD. However, some fans of CBD tea enjoy the natural hemp flavor that comes with full-spectrum infusions.
Interestingly, one of the companies on our list, CBD American Shaman, makes sparkling CBD tea.
What are CBD shots?
Energy shots have become quite popular over the past few decades. Often, CBD shots contain other active ingredients such as caffeine, B vitamins, and herbal extracts.
Nirvana and Tribe, are the two companies in our list of best CBD drinks below that offer CBD shots. CBD-shots are convenient and generally come in single serving sizes and a variety of flavors.
What are CBD energy drinks?
CBD energy drinks, like CBD shots, are becoming quite popular. And, like CBD shots, CBD energy drinks contain additional active ingredients such as caffeine, taurine, guarana, ginseng, ginkgo biloba, B vitamins, and l-carnitine.
Joy Organics offers a powdered energy drink mix that can be added to any beverage.
How are CBD drinks made?
The concept of CBD drinks sounds pretty straightforward, however, the process involved is a little more complex than simply blending CBD tincture into a beverage. Some forward-thinking coffee shops and bars are adding CBD into their beverages at the counter. However, the commercial, mass-produced CBD drinks that are available online and at dispensaries are blended using a more sophisticated process.
It’s a widely known fact that “oil and water don’t mix,” and since many CBD extracts come as oil, it makes sense that beverages and waters produced for mass consumption must be made with easily-dissolvable, water-soluble CBD. With this cutting-edge technology, CBD particles are broken down into microscopic nanodroplets and then encapsulated in an emulsifier which is then easily infused into the liquids.
Another popular form known for high CBD content and bioavailability is CBD isolate which comes in a crystalline form. CBD isolate offers one of the highest bioavailabilities that is linked to how much CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream. CBD drinks can be made using CBD isolate. However, when compared to this crystalline form of CBD, water-soluble CBD is superior for making CBD drinks and CBD water as the product will have a better shelf life. Oils in drinks made with non-soluble CBD will eventually separate from the water.
What is the difference between CBD-beverages and CBD-water?
The only difference between typical CBD drinks and CBD water is the list of ingredients. Along with typical beverage ingredients, CBD drinks, in addition to flavorings, carbonation, colors, and others can sometimes contain herbs or supplements such as kava, passionflower, valerian, chamomile, vitamins, and minerals. These added ingredients help promote relaxation, energy, or other health benefits.
CBD water, on the other hand, is simply water infused with CBD using the aforementioned nanoencapsulation technology.
What are the benefits of drinking CBD-drinks?
The benefits of water-soluble CBD drinks surpass those of oil-based CBD products. That’s because the bioavailability of water-soluble CBD is much higher. Oil-based CBD is often trapped in the body’s fatty tissues, whereas the water-soluble CBD in CBD drinks and CBD water are more readily absorbed into the bloodstream, greatly increasing the onset time and duration of the effects.
More and more healthcare professionals are now coming to believe that CBD has comparable health benefits to many types of modern medicine. This is because research is showing the abundant advantages of CBD. The whole topic is not recent as hemp and its extracts have been used for their health benefits, for thousands of years now.
The human body has the ability to produce its own natural cannabinoids. These molecules regulate and modulate a wide array of bodily functions by interacting with receptors on the surface of cells throughout the body relaying instructions for cells to change their behavior at a cellular level. This system is known as the human endocannabinoid system or ECS1. Technically, the cannabinoids produced by the human body are known as endocannabinoids while those produced in plants, such as hemp, are known as phytocannabinoids. Cannabinoids such as CBD have the ability to mimic some of the effects of our own body's cannabinoids; thus, imparting many of the same health benefits2.
Because hemp and CBD are now legal in the U.S., more attention is expected to be given to these wonderful ingredients. Large studies are expected to be done on CBD, unveiling more evidence about the benefits of CBD in general. For example, some studies have linked CBD to anticancer properties3.
CBD Drinks Quick Guide
Price Per Serving
Caliper CBD Dissolvable Powder
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL
The Brothers Apothecary Hot Cocoa
Joy Organics Premium CBD Energy Drink
35% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Green Roads Hemp Flower Coffee
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL
CBD Living Water
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL
American Shaman CBD Sparkling Tea
20% off discount AMERICAN20
Tribe CBD Sleep Shots
Nirvana CBD Shots 4-Pack
Our Product Selection Methodology
There are a variety of CBD drink products available now on the market; but, you need to know that not all are as transparent in terms of quality and safety as they claim to be.
When choosing a CBD drink, or any other CBD product, it’s imperative to keep the following requirements in mind:
Reputable CBD Brands
Always choose products from transparent CBD brands that have a guaranteed reputation in the industry. The right manufacturers are dedicated to providing high-quality products. We, at CBD school, make sure we include only these in our lists.
The most reliable products are undoubtedly those that are made using all-natural, non-GMO hemp (produced without genetic engineering) grown in the US4. Using natural ingredients limits the amount of processing required, facilitates the extraction of the final product, and yields a safe product with minimal or no side-effects.
Third-Party Lab Test Results
To ensure authenticity and reliability, always choose products that have undergone third-party lab tests and made the results available on their websites. These tests make sure that the cannabinoid levels in the product match those claimed on the product label, and guarantee that there are no heavy metals, molds, or pesticides present in the final product.
Active and Inactive Ingredients
Always look at all active (an ingredient that contains CBD) and inactive ingredients on the label to ensure you’re choosing the highest quality CBD product. When possible, choose an all-natural product made without any artificial ingredients.
Look for products with different potencies to meet your specific needs. Certain brands offer a wider selection of different strength products, while others offer only one or two potencies. When making our recommendations, we try to mention brands and products that offer multiple potencies.
Variety of Price
We try to include products at various prices to meet the needs of everyone’s budget. When evaluating the price of a product, keep in mind that it varies depending on the strength, serving size, volume, and any added ingredients.
Our exclusive lists try to give you all the information you need to make an informed decision that suits your specific desires and needs.
Olive oil method of extraction
The olive oil method of extraction was the first method for extracting CBD from hemp. It is clean and cost-effective and involves heating the raw plant material to a temperature that activates the plant. However, the main issue with this method is that the activated olive oil/CBD mix must be strictly kept in a dark and cool place in order to keep it fresh.
Solvent extraction uses butane, propane, ethanol, isopropyl, or alcohol to extract the CBD from hemp. It is the cheapest and quickest method but is also the most dangerous.
Currently, the most common method of extracting CBD is the CO2 method, which is also the most expensive due to the cost of equipment. However, it provides a potent, safe, and chlorophyll-free product.
Top 8 CBD Drinks
15% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL
USA GROWN HEMP
- Each pack contains 20mg of CBD isolate and requires no measuring
- The powder dissolves quickly and provides an instant CBD beverage
- The powder can be dissolved in hot or cold liquid
- This product contains zero THC
- This CBD-powder is available in two sizes – a 30 pack and a 60 pack
- Dissolves quickly in hot or cold beverages
- Each serving contains 20mg of CBD isolate
- Available in 30-pack and 60-pack
- No THC
- Free shipping
- Uses isolate which is good if you can't have THC in your system, but if you like the entourage effect you would want a product with full-spectrum CBD.
- This easy-to-use powder is made from pure CBD-isolate, needs no measuring.
- These are flavorless and dissolve quickly in your favorite beverage, whether hot or cold, for an instant CBD infused drink.
- Contains zero THC
- Each individual package contains 20mg of pure CBD isolate.
- This product is available in both 30-pack and 60-pack sizes.
The Brothers Apothecary
Chocodelic Trip Hot Cocoa
USA GROWN HEMP
- This product contains 60 mg per serving of CBD derived from quality American hemp
- The cocoa is caffeine-free
- This product contains adaptogenic mushrooms, known to provide great health benefits.
- This CBD beverage is low in sugar
- Blended with potent, healing adaptogen mushrooms
- Contains 60 mg of CBD per serving
- The website makes no mention of the ingredients being organic
- Some may not like the taste, but most will!
- Chocodelic Trip CBD Hot Cocoa blends 60 mg of CBD derived from the finest American-grown hemp per serving.
- Quality Dutch chocolate, vanilla bean, cane sugar, and a combination of powerful adaptogenic synergistic mushrooms.
- Other ingredients include Chaga, Reishi, Lion’s Mane, and Cordyceps, also grown in America.
- This CBD-infused drink comes in two sizes – a 3 serving and a 9 serving package and contains less than 0.3% THC and no caffeine
35% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL
Premium CBD Energy Drink
USA GROWN HEMP
- These CBD drinks are fast-acting for a quick energy boost.
- This CBD beverage has a zero THC content
- This product comes in packages of five
- The powder comes in a delicious “Happy Berry” flavor
- Joy Organics offers free shipping for their orders
- The company also has a money-back guarantee
- Delicious flavor
- Product is fast-acting
- Zero THC
- Free shipping
- Money-back guarantee
- Only one flavor
- Due to flavor can only be added to water and not other beverages
- This easy-to-use, fast-acting powdered energy-drink mix comes in packets of 5
- Each serving contains 12.5 mg of CBD.
- These high-powered CBD-beverages have a delightful “Happy Berry” flavor.
- Contain 75 mg of caffeine per packet, and have zero THC content.
Hemp Flower Coffee
USA GROWN HEMP
- This CBD-infused coffee is an award-winner
- The coffee contains CBD, CBG, and other powerful cannabinoids
- This product comes in three delicious flavors
- It can be purchased in a 3-pack bundle, or 2.5 and 12 oz packs
- If you order more than $50 worth of products, shipping is free
- Contains multiple cannabinoids including CBG
- Award-winning product
- Three flavors
- Can be purchased in 3-pack bundle, 2.5 or 12 oz
- Free shipping over $50
- This award-winning coffee is infused (utilizing a closely guarded method) with American-grown hemp containing CBD, CBG, and other powerful cannabinoids.
- The coffee beans are grown on a lush Colombian hilltop and are harvested under a full moon to ensure the sweetest, smoothest coffee flavor.
- This CBD infused coffee comes in three delicious flavors, including the original Founders Blend, French Vanilla, and Hazelnut.
- It can be purchased in a sample pack of all three flavors in 2.5 oz packs, or in individual 2.5 or 12 oz packs.
- Orders over $50 are shipped for free.
20% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL
USA GROWN HEMP
- The water is 9+pH alkaline to reduce acidity and inflammation
- There is zero THC in this CBD beverage
- The bottles are BPA-free and environmentally-friendly
- Zero THC
- The water is 9+pH alkaline
- Bottles are BPA-free
- Come in single bottle os groups of 24-bottles
- Only 10mg of CBD per bottle
- For those who don't like purchasing plastic water bottles this is not a CBD option for you
- CBD Living Proprietary Nano Hemp-infused Water is made with 100% broad-spectrum hemp grown on state-licensed farms in Oregon and Colorado.
- Each bottle contains 16.9 oz of alkaline water infused with 10mg of CBD
- This CBD drink is THC-free.
- Additional ingredients besides purified 9+ pH water (alkaline to reduce acidity and inflammation) are potassium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, and potassium hydroxide.
- Can be purchased individually or in cases of 24 bottles.
- The bottles are BPA-free.
20% off discount with code AMERICAN20
CBD Sparkling Tea
USA GROWN HEMP
- Comes in a convenient variety pack with four delicious flavors.
- Each can contains 10 mg of high-quality nano-extracted CBD oil
- Each serving has only 18 calories
- The company has a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Four flavors
- Only 18 calories
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 10mg of CBD per serving
- No way to order one flavor
- Each can of American Shaman CBD teas contain 8.45 oz. of flavorful sparkling tea. Show More
- Each serving contains 10mg of nano-extracted high-quality CBD oil per can.
- The sparkling teas come in a variety pack of four delicious flavors – Lemon Black Tea and Mango Orange Peel (both caffeinated) and Raspberry Pear and Chamomile-Citrus (decaffeinated) for convenience!
- These delicious CBD beverages are made with natural flavorings, organic cane sugar and are only 18 calories per can.
CBD Sleep Shot
USA GROWN HEMP
- The CBD-sleep shots also contain sleep-inducing melatonin, lavender, valerian, 5-HTP, and Baikal skullcap flower
- These CBD-infused drinks are made with nano-emulsified CBD oil
- These CBD beverages are compounded to be fast-acting
- The CBD-sleep shots can be purchased individually or in 3 or 12 packs
- This CBD-infused drink contains zero THC
- Available in 1, 3 or 12 packs
- Made with nano-emulsified CBD oil
- The shots contain five other sleep-inducing ingredients
- Zero THC
- Zero calories
- You may not appreciate the mixed berry flavor
- Tribe’s CBD sleep-shots are compounded using their proprietary, natural formula that includes 20mg of broad-spectrum nano-emulsified CBD oil, lavender extract, melatonin, valerian root, 5-HTP, and Baikal skullcap flower. Show More
- The combination of these powerful ingredients will gently relax your mind and body and make it easier to fall into a deep sleep.
- On average, this CBD-infused drink takes about ten minutes to have an effect.
- This fast-acting CBD beverage contains no traces of THC and no calories and can be purchased individually, or in 3 or 12 packs for convenience.
CBD Shots 4-Pack
USA GROWN HEMP
- This broad-spectrum CBD infused drink contains no THC
- The CBD shots are available in four flavors (CBD shots come in packs of four)
- Every serving of this CBD beverage contains a generous 33mg of broad-spectrum CBD oil
- 33mg of CBD per serving
- Zero THC
- Comes in four flavors
- Comes in a four-pack
- You can only purchase the four-flavor packs.
- No four-packs of individual flavors are available.
- Nirvana CBD-shots are flavorful, sweet and made from the finest hemp-derived cannabinoids.
- This delicious CBD beverage comes in 2 ml serving size
- Contains 33mg of broad-spectrum phytocannabinoid-rich hemp CBD oil (active ingredient) and a medium chain triglycerides flavoring (inactive ingredient).
- This CBD infused drink comes in four flavors – strawberry, peppermint, grapefruit and vanilla all come in this 4-pack box.
- This product has zero THC content.
How much CBD drink should I consume?
Every individual metabolizes CBD differently. Moreover, everyone’s endocannabinoid system is different and scientists are still trying to understand the whole complexity of this cell-signaling system. We produce different amounts of endocannabinoids and our cells express cannabinoid receptors differently. What is well established is that this system is necessary to regulate our sleep, mood, appetite, memory and reproduction/fertility system6.
As a result, each person needs to experiment in order to determine their personal ideal serving size. Many factors come into play when deciding on the right dose such as the time of day CBD drinks are consumed, whether or not they are taken with food, and how active is the consumer at the time of use.
When using CBD drinks for medicinal purposes, it's best, to always start with the minimal dose and add up the amount, as desired to reach a minimum effective dosage. Surpassing that dosage is not recommended as it might not add any additional benefits or even diminish the desired effects. CBD is known to be a biphasic compound. When you exceed a certain dose, the sought for effects can change. Alcohol is another good example of a biphasic element. Used in moderation, alcohol can be relaxing and uplifting. However, surpassing the ideal dose of alcohol can be damaging to your health and lead to toxic effects.
Unlike alcohol, CBD is completely non-toxic, non-addictive, and non-intoxicating. However, if too much CBD hemp is consumed at once, the side effects may include drowsiness and lethargy. The ideal dosage should be just right: high enough to show some beneficial effect, but not too high leading to unwanted effects such as lethargy.
When consuming CBD drinks for non-medical use, personal preference comes to place. It is up to every user to decide what dose is helping them get the desired effects. Most CBD drinks contain between 10mg and 100mg of CBD. Drinking an entire CBD beverage that normally contains 50mg to 100mg of CBD could cause drowsiness or lethargy.
How long do the effects of CBD infused drinks last?
When consumed as a beverage, CBD is generally metabolized within 4 hours, depending on every person's metabolism and body. However, the effects are strongest 45 minutes to 1.5 hours after consumption; then, the effect starts to taper off after a couple of hours.
How much CBD is usually in CBD drinks?
The amount will vary depending on the product and manufacturer of the CBD products. For example, a 16oz bottle of CBD water contains 10-25mg of CBD, and sometimes more. Market research indicates a range of products that contain 4-30mg per serving. So, when planning your budget, a large bottle of 500ml would then be little more expensive, most likely around $10 (on average) due to the higher CBD content.
Looking at 12 oz. CBD sodas, it shows that it contains 20 mg of CBD. On the other hand, CBD-infused coffee and tea appear to have similar doses, averaging around 20mg of CBD for an 11oz container.
One interesting product available on the market is lavender sparkling water containing 15mg of CBD.
Some people prefer to blend their own CBD drinks and have control over the CBD content. In that case, the best option is to purchase water-soluble CBD and concoct the beverage at home. Also, some companies make powdered CBD formulas that can be added to any drink as an instant CBD-infused beverage.
If hemp-derived CBD meets certain requirements and contains less than 0.3% THC on a dry weight basis, it is considered legal under federal law, according to the 2018 Farm Bill. All of the CBD drinks available for purchase on the market must adhere to the regulations of the state in which they are produced7.
CBD safety and side effects
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), naturally occurring CBD is considered safe and well-tolerated in both humans and animals8. Potential side effects of over-consumption of CBD beverages include possible drowsiness, lethargy, dry mouth, and changes in appetite. It’s always recommended to read the ingredient list of CBD drinks, especially if you're prone to digestive sensitivities. Many are made with active ingredients that some individuals might not tolerate well.
There is no doubt that CBD drinks are on an exponentially increasing popularity. Many are discovering the multiple health benefits of this naturally-occurring natural product. In time, CBD drinks, in all its forms, will be available nationwide whether in grocery stores, gas stations, and your local convenience store. But, for the time being, you can have access to the many CBD products online and in many dispensaries around the country!
Cheers! To your health!
1Human Endocannabinoid System. (n.d.). Retrieved January 05, 2021, from https://cannabis.semel.ucla.edu/endocannabinoid/
2Phytocannabinoid. (n.d.). Retrieved January 05, 2021, from https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/chemistry/phytocannabinoid
3Guzmán, M. (2003, December). Cannabinoids: Potential anticancer agents. Retrieved January 05, 2021, from https://www.nature.com/articles/nrc1188
4Hilderbrand R. L. (2018). Hemp & Cannabidiol: What is a Medicine?. Missouri medicine, 115(4), 306–309.
5Nuapia, Y., Tutu, H., Chimuka, L., & Cukrowska, E. (2020). Selective Extraction of Cannabinoid Compounds from Cannabis Seed Using Pressurized Hot Water Extraction. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 25(6), 1335. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25061335
6Ahn, K., McKinney, M. K., & Cravatt, B. F. (2008, April 23). Enzymatic Pathways That Regulate Endocannabinoid Signaling in the Nervous System. Retrieved January 05, 2021, from https://doi.org/10.1021/cr0782067
7Commissioner, O. (n.d.). FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Q&A. Retrieved January 05, 2021, from https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-including-cannabidiol-cbd
8White, P., Walsh, D., & Babalonis, D. (2018, June 7). CANNABIDIOL (CBD) – Critical Review Report (Rep.). Retrieved January 4, 2021, from World Health Organization website: https://www.who.int/medicines/access/controlled-substances/CannabidiolCriticalReview.pdf