As it continues to make the headlines across the globe and more people are realizing its accentuated non-psychoactive benefits, the hemp-derived CBD isolate is increasing its popularity by the day.
If you’re looking for one of the most potent forms of CBD, CBD isolate powder could become your new go-to.
What exactly is CBD isolate, though? And what makes it so special?
Table of Contents
- What is CBD isolate?
- What is CBD isolate used for?
- How is cbd Isolate made?
- Does CBD isolate have THC?
- How to Use CBD Isolate?
- How to make CBD isolate?
- how to make cbd oil from isolate
- How to make vape juice from CBD isolate?
- Quick Guide to Our CBD isolate recommendations
- Methodology for choosing cbd isolate products
- Lazarus Naturals
- Industrial Hemp Farms
- CBD Luxe
- OC Pharm
- American Shaman
- Cheef Botanicals
- How much CBD isolate should I use?
- CBD isolate vs Full-spectrum
- How long does CBD isolate last?
- CBD legality
- CBD safety and side effects
- Final Thoughts
- Related posts
What is CBD isolate?
Cannabidiol, CBD, is one of the active compounds produced in the resinous flower clusters of the cannabis plant.
It can be found in both hemp and marijuana strains. Over-the-counter CBD products are produced using hemp rather than marijuana, as by law, the permitted product must contain less than 0.3% THC.
Unlike THC (the most common cannabinoid found in marijuana), CBD does not make you high. However, just like THC, CBD offers numerous health benefits.
The most common reasons why users pick CBD as their solution are to reduce stress and relieve pain. CBD is also used to treat patients that suffer from seizure disorders among other conditions.
In this article, we will write our review about CBD isolate, which is a purified form of CBD.
All plant chemicals, waxes, chlorophyll, and others contained in a hemp extract are removed via a series of filtration and distillation processes, leaving 99.9% of pure CBD powder.
What is CBD isolate used for?
CBD isolate takes the form of a whitish, crystalline powder that is both odorless and flavorless, which makes CBD powder ideal for adding to foods, beverages, topicals preparations, and cosmetics. It does not add to where it is added the strong tastes and odors of cannabis.
Another reason why some users choose CBD isolate powder is that is does not contain terpenes.
Terpenes are the aromatic oils that give cannabis its distinctive aromas. There are several types of terpenes produced in cannabis and each of them has its own effects on the human body1.
Terpenes can cause allergic reactions in some patients. But, since CBD isolates are terpene-free, this minimizes the risk for allergic reactions caused by a CBD isolate product.
CBD crystals can be added to foods and oils, vaporized, and even smoked.
How is cbd Isolate made?
In order to get CBD out of hemp, it must be extracted. CBD isolate is produced by using a specialized extraction process that starts off being like any other CBD extraction processes.
Once the initial extraction takes place, the product is a concentrated CBD with all kinds of constituents contained in the hemp plant itself. To purify this adulterated extraction of CBD and make it an ultra pure form of isolate CBD, a purifying process is needed!
This purification process includes filtration where all the mixed constituents of the hemp is filtered out of the extract.
Following filtration, the extracted oil goes through “winterization process” that further removes any remaining impurities like plant waxes and others. That's when you obtain your 99% pure white powder of CBD that has been used as a primer for healthcare2.
Does CBD isolate have THC?
While most people assume that CBD has no THC, there are still trace amounts found in the CBD oil that normally uses the entire hemp plant for its production.
This is known as full-spectrum CBD and can be sold legally as long as it contains less than 0.3% THC. While this relatively negligeable amount is not typically enough to show any psychoactive effects, it can still show up in the system if you were to take a drug test. So, it is important to keep this in mind.
CBD isolate offers all the benefits of CBD without any trace of THC. It is excellent for anyone who is sensitive to THC or can’t have THC show up in a drug test.
Military service members, police officers, emergency first responders, and anyone else who absolutely can’t fail a drug test will pick CBD isolate to get the relief they need, without the fear of having any trace of THC in their system.
How to Use CBD Isolate?
So, you picked up some CBD isolate. What now? What exactly are you supposed to do with this tasteless, odorless, fine white powder?
The answer is: basically anything you want!
Because CBD isolate doesn’t have any taste or odor, you can use it in a variety of ways. Some of the easiest ways to get your daily dose of CBD using a CBD isolate include:
Place it Directly Under Your Tongue
Placing CBD isolate powder directly under your tongue is, by far, the easiest way to use it.
Hold it there for about 60 seconds. The CBD will then be delivered to the bloodstream via the mucous membranes to provide the relief you desire. CBD has no taste or odor so you will not taste or smell anything.
Creating Your Own CBD Oil and Custom Products
You can infuse CBD isolate into a carrier oil (for example, MCT, grapeseed, or olive oil) to create your own version of CBD oil that is measured precisely.
This CBD oil can then be taken sublingually by placing it under your tongue to get the desired effects.
You can also use your preparation of CBD-infused oil for cooking or baking, keeping in mind that CBD will lose its potency at higher temperatures. If you do want to cook with it, make sure you’re below 350º Fahrenheit, without ever reaching 400 degrees. You do not want to lose any of the health properties of the isolate.
CBD isolate can also be mixed with skin oils to create a topical that can be used on sore muscles or to ease inflammation as well as joint or arthritis pain. Our favorite base is coconut oil.
Mix it in Your Morning Juice or Smoothie
One of the easiest ways to use CBD isolate is by adding it to a glass of juice or a smoothie.
It will blend seamlessly with your liquid, offering an extra boost for a healthy start of the day!
Try it in Coffee or Tea
If juice or smoothies aren’t your things, CBD isolate powder will work just as good when mixed with your morning cup of coffee or tea.
As with adding to a juice or smoothy, just measure out the desired amount, put it in your drink and stir.
Make a CBD Sweetener
Another popular method of using CBD isolate involves using it as a sweetener, despite the fact that CBD is tasteless.
To make your own CBD “sweetener”, heat up honey or agave in a double boiler (or something similar), and then mix in your CBD isolate until thoroughly dissolved.
Use this infused sweetener on top of toasts, in your tea or coffee, or even take it by the spoonful.
Blend with your skin cream
The CBD isolate can be blended with skin creams intended to treat skin conditions. It can also be a part of a topical preparation to relieve skin conditions as well as muscles and joints pain. Coconut oil used as a base is a superb choice for this option.
How to make CBD isolate?
CBD isolate is not something that anyone can create at the comfort of their homes. Although cannabis oils can be produced at home, purifying them down to turn into a pure for of CBD isolate requires substantial industrial processes
how to make cbd oil from isolate
A great way to save money and ensure that your CBD oil is THC-free is to produce your own CBD oil. Not only is it a quick and easy process, but it gives you the pride that you've accomplished something.
items you will need to have on hand to make cbd oil
- 1 gram (1,000 milligrams) of CBD isolate
- MCT oil (or grapeseed or olive oil)
- a 30 ml amber dropper bottle
- a small funnel or small tool (spoon) to get the CBD isolate powder into the bottle
- syringe meant for liquids
Steps in the making cbd oil from cbd isolate
- Add 1 gram (1,000 milligrams) of CBD isolate to a 30 ml amber dropper bottle using either a funnel, that is small enough to fit into the top of the bottle, or use a small spoon to scoop and dump the isolate into the bottle.
- Use either a syringe, a measuring cup or spoon to put 20 ml of MCT oil into the amber bottle. You can use more or less MCT oil depending on your ratio preference. Using a syringe will give you a more precise amount of oil, but if you don't care about the exact amount you can use items more readily available to you. We recommend MCT oil since it is flavorless and odorless, but feel free to use grapeseed or olive oil.
- Shake and let the bottle sit for a while to give the powder and oil time to amalgamate. You can speed this process up by placing the dropper bottle into warm water.
- Once the powder has dissolved into the oil, it will not solidify again, so your CBD oil is ready to use.
How to make vape juice from CBD isolate?
ingredients and materials you’ll need to make vape juice from CBD isolate powder are:
- 500 mg CBD-isolate
- 15 ml propylene glycol
- 12 ml vegetable glycerin
- 3ml flavoring of choice (vape juice flavoring or terpenes)
- Blunt tip syringe
- Double or triple-digit scale (reads 0.01/0.001)
- 30 or 60 ml empty vape juice container (preferable amber color to protect against damaging UV rays)
Then follow these steps
- Measure 15ml of propylene glycol into the empty vape juice container using your syringe.
- Step 2: Add CBD isolate to the beaker.
- Using your scale, measure 500mg (0.5grams) of the CBD isolate. Slowly pour the powder into the container with the 15ml of PG. Gently place the cap on the glass container with the CBD isolate and PG blend.
- Mix propylene glycol and CBD isolate together. Once the cap is snugly in place, shake the container to completely dissolve the CBD isolate powder into the PG. This process may take up to a minute to totally dissolve the powder. The blend should then have a consistent liquid form with no crystal particles in it.
- Next, add the vegetable glycerin to the mixture. Measure 12 ml of VG into the mixture using the syringe. This ingredient ensures that the vape juice will provide a thicker smoke. Mix it thoroughly until nothing sticks to the sides of the container, and until the solution is unified.
- Add flavorings of your choice. Add 3ml to the existing solution. Allow the blend to stand for a while for the flavor to infuse the solution fully.
Once these steps have been completed, all you need to do is transfer the fresh vape juice into your vape tank, then store the remainder.
It is best to refrigerate this solution to extend its life. A cool dark space will also suffice to preserve its potency. It’s also wise to store your vape juice in a tinted glass bottle, away from heat, light, air, and humidity.
This recipe is for a 60/40 mix, however, the measurement of propylene glycol is up to your discretion and preferences.
If you prefer a good throat hit and want better flavor retention, a higher ratio of PG to vegetable glycerine (VG) (70/30) is advisable. Flip the ratio and use more VG if you would like a thicker smoke.
Quick Guide to Our CBD isolate recommendations
CBDistillery High Purity CBDelicious CBD Isolate Powder From Hemp
15% off discount TAKE15
Lazarus Naturals Cycling Frog CBD Isolate
10% off discount CBDSCHOOL
Industrial Hemp Farms CBD Isolate Powder
15% off discount CBDSCHOOL15
CBD Luxe CBD Isolate Powder
20% off discount CBDSCHOOL20
OC Pharm CBD Isolate Bundle
American Shaman CBD Isolate Powder
20% off discount AMERICAN20
Cheef Botanicals CBD Isolate
Methodology for choosing cbd isolate products
For individuals who are aware of the many benefits CBD offers, it is well known that not all products are created equally. For safety, efficacy, and quality it’s important to recognize the right CBD brands dedicated to producing the finest products available.
When shopping for CBD products, it’s imperative to keep these non-negotiable requirements in the forefront:
REPUTABLE CBD BRANDS
It is prudent to choose CBD companies with excellent reputations, that are transparent with their process and known for their dedication to integrity and quality.
These stellar brands have an open-book policy ensuring potential customers’ ability to access information regarding their products.
The use of organically farmed, non-GMO, U.S.-grown hemp is imperative when it comes to our selection of featured brands. Our readers deserve to know about the origin and purity of CBD products.
THIRD-PARTY LAB TEST RESULTS
The products we are promoting must indicate on their labeling, third-party lab testing to provide correct information regarding cannabinoid levels.
The products must also be certified to be free of pesticides, molds, and heavy metals. To uphold levels of quality, third-party testing is an absolute must.
ACTIVE AND INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
We review all ingredients, both active and inactive, to make sure potential customers are purchasing only high-quality CBD products.
When we refer to “active ingredient” we are indicating the CBD levels in the product. The extra components comprising the product are called “inactive ingredients.”
However, because CBD isolate is a purified product, there should be no added ingredients.
Everyone has various needs when it comes to CBD usage. Most of the brands listed here come in multiple sizes to accommodate as many people as possible. Information regarding the amount of CBD must be listed on the label.
VARIETY OF PRICE
When promoting our best-quality CBD products, we prefer to include a wide range of pricing available to suit all budgets. The price of the product will have a direct correlation to the size, volume, serving size, and potency, as well as other possibly added ingredients.
We prefer to only recommend products that are created using clean, safe extraction methods. There are three common extraction methods when it comes to CBD extraction.
Solvent extraction utilizes butane, propane, ethanol, isopropyl, or alcohol to extract the CBD from the plant. It is the cheapest and quickest method of extraction. This is the most dangerous method of extraction.
The olive oil method of extraction was the first method to be utilized for extracting CBD from the plant. It is a clean and cost-effective method of extraction that heats the raw plant material to a temperature that activates the plant. The main issue with this method is that the olive oil that is now activated with CBD must be kept in a dark and cool area to keep it fresh, which may be an issue with CBD producers.
The most common way of extracting CBD is the CO2 method which is the most expensive method due to the cost of the equipment. This extraction method produces a potent, safe, and chlorophyll-free product.
The following products are CBD Schools’ top seven picks for CBD isolates.
Our 7 recommended cbd isolate products
15% off discount with code TAKE15
High purity CBDelicious CBD-isolate powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- CBDistillery offers only the highest quality pure-hemp CBD-isolates at reasonable prices.
- These powders are derived from GMO-free, organic and U.S. grown hemp.
- The CBD-isolates contain no THC.
- They also offer two types of powders, High Purity CBDelicious CBD-isolate and CBG-isolate.
- They use only natural crude ethanol-extracted CBD and CBG.
- Third-party lab results can be found on the product page, along with a scannable QR code to confirm purity and potency.
10% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL
Cycling Frog CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- Comes in three flavors including Lemon Lime, Hawaiian Citrus, and Valencia Orange.
- They utilize a vertically integrated process that delivers high-quality products.
- Their products are affordable.
- They offer reduced prices for veterans and the economically challenged.
- They are considered to be pioneers in the CBD industry with a great track record.
- They are dedicated to maintaining quality and promise high potency products.
- The company believes in sustainability.
- They plan to be carbon neutral by 2030 and to eliminate all non-biodegradable waste. A goal of eliminating carbon emissions by 2040.
- They use all-organic ingredients.
- They support local and national non-profits with donations.
- Cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids are extracted from hemp with cryogenic ethanol and filtered to remove any impurities.
- They have a transparency policy and a certificate of analysis
- Third-part test results can be found on the product page
15% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL15
Industrial Hemp Farms
CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- They use a sophisticated four-part extraction method, eliminating all fats, waxes, and lipids.
- They offer both retail and wholesale pricing.
- They are one of the largest suppliers of hemp flower in the world.
- They are one of the largest distributors of CBD isolate.
- They are in the top 3 worldwide distributors of hemp flowers and extracts.
- Third-party lab results can be found here.
20% off discount with code CBDSCHOOL20
CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
CBD isolate Bundle
USA GROWN HEMP
- Their products are made from 100% organic materials
- All of their hemp is grown in the U.S.
- The CBD-isolate is made from top quality hemp flower
- Their products are all third-party tested. You can find the lab results here.
- This company often has sales
20% off discount with code AMERICAN20
CBD Isolate Powder
USA GROWN HEMP
- All of their products are organic, and pesticide-free.
- They offer discounts via a Compassionate Care program to veterans and low-income customers.
- They offer a full refund if you are not satisfied with the product within 45 days if purchased from their website.
- All of their hemp is U.S. grown.
- All of their products are third-party lab tested. You can find their lab results here.
USA GROWN HEMP
- This CBD-isolate powder is Co2-extracted.
- All the products are non-GMO and pesticide-free.
- They offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- All their hemp is grown in the U.S.
- All of their products are third-party tested, however, their CBD isolate doesn't seem to have a result available. Here's the page that has all their other lab results.
How much CBD isolate should I use?
An ideal dosage of CBD isolate powder is highly user-dependent. It is all about every person’s state of health, physical characteristics like height and weight, as well as whatever health condition they are trying to treat, if any. The recommended dosage also depends on the method of consumption and the time of day at which it is intended for use.
Because CBD affects everyone differently, it’s best to start with a very small quantity and work your way up to a minimum effective dosage over the course of at least a few days. A good starting point is 5mg.
Depending on the use and delivery method, dosages can range from 5mg to over 150 mg per serving. It’s a good idea to do some research and see what medical professionals recommend for every specific condition and case. The most common dosages for non-serious medical conditions fall between 10mg and 50mg.
Keep in mind that CBD is what is known as a bi-phasic active compound. That means that over a certain dosage its effects can actually diminish or even produce unwanted effects.
Furthermore, some delivery methods have higher bioavailability and faster onset time of action than others. For example, vaping offers high bioavailability and fast onset time, while edibles offer slow onset time and lower bioavailability; more CBD and more time will be needed to produce the same effect.
It’s always best to discuss dosage with a qualified medical professional.
CBD isolate vs Full-spectrum
As we already explained, full-spectrum CBD contains a spectrum of cannabinoids and terpenes. CBD isolate, on the other hand, contains only 99.9 percent pure CBD and nothing else.
How long does CBD isolate last?
The onset time and length of effectiveness for CBD isolate depends on the consumption method. As with most over-the-counter remedies, oral use can be repeated every four hours or so. However, when vaping the dosage can be spread out over a desired period of time.
Although it can take days to fully metabolize CBD, its effects usually last anywhere from an hour to four hours or more.
All CBD products produced from industrial hemp are THC-free and can be purchased online legally in all U.S. states. According to the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp-derived CBD products must contain no more than 0.3% THC on a dry weight basis and most states follow federal rules. Under FDA rules, CBD makers may not make any medical claims regarding their products3.
CBD safety and side effects
The World Health Organization (WHO), has done numerous studies and concluded that naturally occurring CBD is safe for use and well tolerated by humans. There are no reports of overdoses or serious, lasting side effects4.
While being well-tolerated by most users, CBD isolate can have some mild side effects like dry mouth, lowered blood pressure, or drowsiness, and fatigue. Used in high dosages, CBD may cause lethargy5.
1Booth, J. K., & Bohlmann, J. (2019). Terpenes in Cannabis sativa – From plant genome to humans. Plant science : an international journal of experimental plant biology, 284, 67–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2019.03.022
3Commissioner, O. (2020, October 1). FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Q&A. Retrieved January 13, 2021, from https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-including-cannabidiol-cbd
4White, P. J., D. P., & Kershaw, D. S. (2017). CANNABIDIOL (CBD) Pre-Review Report (Thirty-ninth Meeting, Rep.). Expert Committee on Drug Dependence.
5Brent A. Bauer, M. (2020, December 18). CBD: Safe and effective? Retrieved January 13, 2021, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/is-cbd-safe-and-effective/faq-20446700
Finding the CBD strain that works best for you can have a trial and error period. Our list of the best CBD flower will help you find the brand that provides what you're looking for.
Written by Jen Keehn Updated January 13, 2021 Medically Reviewed by Dr. Sandra El-Hajj CBD and healthy living are the …
What exactly is CBD isolate? And why is it so beneficial? If you’re looking to make your own CBD products, knowing about CBD isolate is a good place to start.
Vaping is a popular and quick way for you to receive the benefits of CBD into your system. Discover our selections for the best CBD vape juices on the market.
Are all CBD gummies the same? How do you know what ones to buy? Follow this guide for help.
Lots of us have sleep issues, according to many studies. CBD oil for sleep is an alternative option that should be considered. Ten excellent options are reviewed.